Call today (330) 336-3330

Daniel Gigiano Blog

Proudly Serving Medina, Summit and Wayne Counties

Who Is Entitled To A Child’s School Records?

Who is entitled to a child’s school records?  Under Ohio law, both parents have the right to access their child’s school records.  The schools generally recognize the right of the legal custodian and residential parent’s access to school records.  However, some schools may not always recognize the non-residential parent’s right to access their child’s records.  If this problem arises, the legal custody papers usually contain language stating that both parents have the right to have access to their child’s school records.

What if one parent instructs the school not to allow the other parent access to the school records?  Only the court can issue such instructions, not the parent.  Unless a court order says otherwise, both parents can participate in conferences, attend IEP meetings and access records.  Can a stepparent have access to school records?  No.  Only the parents can access the child’s school records.  The only way a stepparent can gain access to the records is if he or she has become the child’s legal guardian (or legal custodian).

What if the residential parent for school purposes moves?  Can a child attend school in a district that the parent does not live?  Sometimes, if a child started school in the parent’s school district and the parent moves after that, the school may allow the child to remain in the district without paying tuition.  It is important to seek out the approval of the school board in this situation.  Can a child switch to the other parent’s school district?  Yes, if custody is changed to the other parent or if the other parent is named the residential parent for school purposes.


Take a look at some of my articles, where I talk more about issues related to divorce, dissolution, and child custody: do I have to file anything before moving with my child in Ohio, grandparents have rights in Ohio, how much is too little child support in Ohio,   what to do when you lose custody of your child in Ohio, , should I videotape my child’s wishes in Ohio, and numbers are not the only thing that changes Ohio child support. Take a look at what the client reviews of Daniel Gigiano have to say, website links to ratings of Daniel Gigiano, and examples of the highly rated work of Daniel Gigiano.


Attorney Gigiano is a Medina Legal Custody Attorney in Wadsworth, Ohio.  Attorney Gigiano regularly practices family law in Medina County Domestic Relations Court, Summit County Domestic Relations Court and Wayne County Domestic Relations Court.  If you have questions about this or other questions you need answered by an experienced Wooster legal custody attorney near Rittman or an Orrville family law attorney near Barberton, please call Attorney Daniel F. Gigiano at 330-336-3330.